Hiking is not a regular or normal phenomenon. People go on a hike to spend the time in a crazy and adventurous way, and train their muscle fitness.
This is why you must plan must accordingly and remain safe from a sudden change in weather or unforeseen events.
Thus, it is better to be conscious about weather and take as many extra supplies of food, water or medicine as you can carry comfortably.
- 1 What to Consider Before Packing for a Hiking Tour?
- 2 The Ultimate Gear Checklist for a Day Hike
- 3 Conclusion
What to Consider Before Packing for a Hiking Tour?
Below are the things that you should consider before packing for a hiking tour:
- You must be alert about the terrain, altitude, environment, and weather of your hiking area. Generally, cooler and humid Midwest hikes are less prone to insect attack and you do not need to take a lot of water hiking there. But it is an essential thing if you choose arid and hot Southwest hikes. You may customize your gear depending on the environment.
- Do take sufficient things with you. Do not waste money on unnecessary things. For example, if you are going to the groomed trails, spending money on gaiters will be useless unless you are trekking through rough brush. Buy an inexpensive headlamp instead of multifunctional tactical flashlight with different brightness settings if not necessary.
- Even if you are an experienced hiker, take advice from others who have already visited that spot. If you want to take any gear like them, ask how it works, especially for the beginners!
The Ultimate Gear Checklist for a Day Hike
Here is an important gear checklist for a day hike tour.
Hiking trousers are necessary for trekking. Waterproof trousers with air ventilation system are better than normal ones. It ensures better air circulation to keep your leg dry and dry out the sweat from your body. The trousers with detachable bottoms are also good as you can use it as both shorts and trousers!
Hiking fleece works great, especially in cold weather. It keeps you dry and warm under the waterproof hiking jacket.
You must not wear the hiking suit without adequate base layers. As the first layer remains in direct contact with your body, you must choose a fabric that is breathable. It helps to wick away sweat and keeps you fresh. If you are hiking on a cooler area, you will need more base layers. So, take enough base layers, if possible, take one/two extra, while going on a hike.
Gaiters are useful if you need to trek through the marsh, water, snow etc. It keeps your boots dry as well as your feet.
The cooler a place, the more essential a woolen hiking hat is. If you wear it under the waterproof hood of your jacket, it will keep your head warm and toasty! On the other hand, if there is the scorching heat of the sun, a beach-style or baseball hiking hat will protect you from harmful UV rays.
Take waterproof and wind resistant gloves on hiking as it will protect your hands from excessive cold and provide some mobility while grasping or opening something.
A pair of good-quality hiking socks enhances the performance of boots and provides much comfort while walking or running along rough areas. It also protects your feet from painful and uncomfortable rashes.
Day or Technical Pack
A comfortable and spacious backpack is necessary while going on a hike. You will need it to carry your extra gears and other basic supplies.
Hiking Boots and Shoes
Select boots or shoes depending on weather and environment of that specific place. Break the boots or shoes in before using it on a hike. Totally unused shoes are not the right fit for a comfortable hike. However, you must wear a pair of hiking socks before while breaking the hiking boots in.
Waterproof Hiking Jacket
The properties of a hiking jacket depend on the climate as well. If you are going to a place where there is a higher possibility of raining, waterproof jackets will be more efficient. There is a wide range of jackets to choose from and you can select one of them to use for the entire year.
Extra Hiking Clothing
If you need to change the place frequently and adjust with different temperatures and weather, take extra clothing with you to play safe. You may face this situation while ascending a mountain. Therefore, it is better to keep more than necessary so that you can enjoy the trek.
Though this is not a complete list, I have tried to put the most important things together in this list. If you want to take few more things with you, it will obviously be a good decision. The more things you carry, the fewer problems you face.